WOOLWICH CENTRAL SCHOOL
December 3, 2020
The Woolwich Way
Respect . Responsibility . Honesty . Compassion . Courtesy . Quality
IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENTS
12/7 - PreK - 5 Return to 100% In-Person Learning; 6-8 Remain Hybrid
12/10 - Picture Retake Day
12/18 - Report Cards Go Home!
12/23/19 - 1/1/20 - Winter Break
1/4/20 - Welcome Back!
1/18 - MLK Day - NO SCHOOL
Great things are happening at WCS!
Congratulations to Mya Friend, Wesley Salazar, Ava Tibbets, Charlee Wyman and Cole Beeton for winning the WCS PTA Incognito Turkey Contest! We received a bunch of excellent entries and it’s fair to say that creativity is alive and well at Woolwich Central School!
WCS Pre-K through Grade 5 Return to In-Person Learning!
WCS Grades Pre K-5 will be returning to full time 5 days a week beginning on 12/7. Grades 6-8 will remain on their hybrid schedule, but will change to the new drop off/pick up times for the days they are in-person.
Drop off and pick up times for all students will be as follows:
parents should arrive for pick up at 2:15pm
parents should arrive for pick up at 3:05pm
Wednesday will be late start days
(Grades 6-8 do not attend in-person on Wednesdays)
Pre K will arrive with the Early Group at 9:20am
The Late Group will arrive at 10:20am
SCHOOL PICTURE UPDATE
We are reaching out today to let you know that our school picture provider, LifeTouch, has been experiencing some issues with class composites and will be reprinting one for each student. On Monday we are sending home any photos that had been ordered so that you have them before the holidays and we will send home the corrected class composite pictures as soon as they are delivered to us. In the meantime, you can disregard any notice from LifeTouch indicating that your student was not included in a class photo.
Thank you for your understanding!
SNOW DAYS AND DELAYED STARTS
RSU1 will now be utilizing snow days as remote learning days to keep from losing additional days of instruction. Here is how the plan will work:
● (If inclement weather is forecasted) IF POSSIBLE, a message will go out the day before letting families know that the “Snow Day Meal Plan” will be implemented and that snow day meals may be sent home with students the day before the storm.
● A FINAL CALL for a “Snow Day” will be made in the morning as is typical. Notifications will be made in a similar manner as in the past, using the messenger system, website, social media, and TV/radio outlets.
● If a Snow Day is called, students will access their Snow Day Learning Plans from home (Note: these plans would be provided by their classroom teachers through Brightspace or paper-based if necessary. If there are widespread power outages, we may need to have the day be considered a non-school day).
● Students would work to complete their snow day learning assignments while at home during the snow day.
● Completed work would be turned in either digitally on that same day, or physically on the next face-to-face day of instruction for that student.
● Feedback would be provided by the teacher in a timely fashion, and learning would continue.
If during the winter weather roads are not safe, schools will have a delayed start, or the school building will be closed for the day. In addition to an automated phone call to each household, notice of this will be made on TV Channels 6, 8 and 13 beginning at 5:30am. School cancellations can also be heard over the following radio stations: WGAN 560 AM, WCLZ 98.9 FM, WPOR 101.9 FM, WJTO 730AM, WMGX 93.1 FM. Please remember that our schools are listed under RSU1, not individual towns. Please be sure we have the correct phone number, so that you will receive all notifications.
A NOTE FROM MRS. RENY
Dear 8th Grade Families,
While it may seem early, middle school is actually a great time to begin discussing various post-secondary opportunities for our 8th grade students, whether that be career, military, or college. For this reason, we collaborated with Colby College in late October to host an online workshop focused on building college awareness specifically for 8th grade students. And now, in an effort to include students who were unable to attend the first round of workshops, we are excited to collaborate with Colby once again to hold another round of workshops.
Below, you will find the dates and registration links to two, identical sessions of the 8th grade workshop.
Registration to these workshops can be found by clicking on the corresponding links above.
We look forward to this online, interactive workshop. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Cameron Reny Jason Libby
School Counselor Principal
In accordance with School Board policy, the following promotional announcements have been included at the request of the sponsoring organization because they may be of interest to students and their families. These activities are not sponsored by the school, and inclusion of these announcements does not constitute endorsement of the organizations or activities by the school.